For the best experienceDownload the Mobile App
App Store Play Store
Shooting at San Diego mosque kills 3 men and both suspects are dead, police say
Shooting at San Diego mosque kills 3 men and both suspects are dead, police say
Shooting at San Diego mosque kills 3 men and both suspects are dead, police say

Published on: 05/18/2026

This news was posted by Oregon Today News

Go To Business Place

Description

A shooting at a San Diego mosque on Monday killed three men, and two teenage suspects are also dead, the police chief said.

Police stage at the scene of a shooting outside the Islamic Center of San Diego Monday, May 18, 2026, in San Diego.

A mosque security guard was among the dead in what is being described as a hate crime at the Islamic Center of San Diego, San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl said at a news conference at a neighborhood park across from the scene.

The center is the largest mosque in San Diego County and includes the Al Rashid School that offers courses in Arabic language, Islamic studies and the Quran for students ages 5 and up, according to its website.

Aerial TV footage showed more than a dozen children holding hands and being walked out of the parking lot of the center that is surrounded by scores of police vehicles. The white mosque is in a neighborhood of homes, apartments and strip malls with Middle Eastern restaurants and markets.

Wahl said the case is being investigated as a hate crime but did not give more details.

Imam Taha Hassane, standing next to the chief at the news conference, said the center focused on interfaith relations and community building, and that a group of non-Muslims had been touring the mosque earlier Monday to learn about Islam.

The Islamic Center’s website says its mission is to not only serve the Muslim population but also “work with the larger community to serve the less fortunate, to educate, and to better our nation.” Five daily prayers are held there, and the mosque works with other organizations and people of all faiths on social causes.

Gov. Gavin Newsom’s office said he was being briefed.

“We are grateful to the first responders on the scene working to protect the community and urge everyone to follow guidance from local authorities,” his office posted on the social platform X.

News Source : https://www.opb.org/article/2026/05/18/shooting-at-san-diego-mosque-kills-3-men-and-both-suspects-are-dead-police-say/

Other Related News

Mark Fuhrman, detective at center of O.J. Simpson trial controversy, dies at 74
Mark Fuhrman, detective at center of O.J. Simpson trial controversy, dies at 74

05/18/2026

As one of the lead detectives in the case Fuhrman discovered a bloody glove at Simpsons Br...

Trump says he's called off Iran strike planned for Tuesday at request of Gulf allies
Trump says he's called off Iran strike planned for Tuesday at request of Gulf allies

05/18/2026

President Donald Trump said he is holding off on a military strike on Iran planned for Tue...

Police: Lebanon man killed in Highway 126 crash near Redmond
Police: Lebanon man killed in Highway 126 crash near Redmond

05/18/2026

A head-on crash on Highway 126 near Redmond left one man dead and two others seriously inj...

Univ. of Oregon sues former football player over unpaid settlement
Univ. of Oregon sues former football player over unpaid settlement

05/18/2026

The Univ of Oregon filed a lawsuit alleging that a former football player failed to make a...

Thousands ordered to evacuate as Southern California wildfire threatens homes
Thousands ordered to evacuate as Southern California wildfire threatens homes

05/18/2026

Officials said that by midafternoon the fire had consumed more than 500 acres of dry brush...

ShoutoutGive Shoutout
500/500